New Year is a magical time. And it’s not just because of the fireworks. It’s a time where the whole world comes together to celebrate a new beginning, the chance to take on new challenges and to be inspired. A chance to meet new people and, of course, to travel to new destinations (my favourite part of the new year). With that in mind, here are our top 16 travel destinations for 2019.
1. St Bart’s is back. This Caribbean paradise was one of the worst hit in the region by Hurricane Irma back in 2017. Over the last year, St Bart’s has worked to rebuilt and revamp. Discover your inner bohemian, wander the pristine beaches and rub shoulders with the rich and famous in St Bart’s.
2. If there is one place in this world you visit (followed by the other 19 on this list of course) Petra, Jordan is it. Petra tells the story of a lost civilisation, of a nomadic people and an ancient kingdom. One of the Wonders of the World, Petra will leave you breathless. And with the opening of a new museum in 2019 to celebrate this remarkable history, there has never been a better time to visit.
3. There are a few places in this world that have unimaginable beauty, eco-awareness and adventure. Patagonia in Chile is one of those rare few. Recently opened in the region was the 1,700 mile Route of Parks, which is the world’s longest hiking trail. When you’re not hiking, enjoying some Chilean wine is a must.
4. With the Ritz Carlton opening on the beautifully redeveloped Elizabeth Quay in Perth, it’s no wonder this Australian costal city is on the list. While many visiting Australia tend to head for the east coast, Perth has long been a well-kept secret on the west coast. With beaches to rival almost all others in Australia, new developments in luxury hotels and now a direct flight from London, Perth in Western Australia is a 2019 must.
5. To deviate a little from the trend of cities to visit, here is a whole country that is a 2019 must. Just off the coast of India, the island country (that looks a little like an avocado on a map) known as Sri Lanka has seen a rise in visitors lately. The people are warm and inviting and want you to see all the beauty the country has to offer. From beaches to eco-safaris and hikes through tea fields, Sri Lanka will not disappoint.
6. San Ignacio in Belize has so much heart and soul, it’s impossible not to get swept up in it all. Belize as a country is known as one of the most expensive cities in the Caribbean and San Ignacio is no exception. It’s the perfect place for adventurers and explorers to visit the many caves and Mayan ruins (you can even visit on horseback) in the area. Followed by snorkeling, canoeing or just relaxing and enjoying the feel-good market vibes with the locals.
7. Not far from Belize is Bacalar. This Mexican island paradise offers the same turquoise blue waters and white sand beaches that you would find in the Maldives, only without the crowds. For a destination primed for ultimate relaxation, visit Bacalar. But remember, this gem won’t stay hidden for long. Make 2019 the year you visit.
8. This town is one if the best kept secrets in the USA. The peaceful southern town of Savannah, Georgia is everything you could want in a relaxing weekend away. This quaint leafy town is the perfect place to stop and smell the roses. What better way to kick off 2019.
9. If ever there was a household name, it’s that of artist Vincent van Gogh. The artist who saw little recognition in his lifetime, now has another dream coming true. And that dream is of an artist utopia in Arles, France. The city is a work of art in itself and is sure to ignite your inner creative-self.
10. Known as Greece’s hippest city is Thessaloniki. Its the home of some of Greece’s greatest artists, poets and thinkers, which translates to culture, history and a whole lot of fun. A city full of life and vibrancy, and one that you’ll will have you falling head over heels, Thessaloniki is a travellers dream.
11. Copenhagen, Denmark is the epitome of cool. The city gives off more of a relaxed, easy-going ‘town’ vibe in appearance whilst being abuzz with people and activity. The colourful townhouses lining the canals are stunning, and they offer the perfect backdrop for an enviable Instagram snap.
12. Whether it be the music, the smell of spiced rum or the old-school magic, New Orleans holds a certain allure. And with new hotel openings and restaurants, New Orleans is sure to make you feel alive and have you dancing in the streets in no time.
13. For something a little different, head to Japan’s remote Seto Inland Sea. The sea lies between the islands ofHonshu, Shikoku and Kyushu and is one of the most remarkable parts of the country. The region offers luxury yacht charters, seaplane tours and for art lovers you can experience the Setouchi Triennial museums and instillations from April to November on the islands of Naoshima, Teshima and Megijima.
14. Paris might be known as the ‘city of lights’ but it certainly has a run for its money in Singapore. While Singapore has been a stop off destination for most, it might be time to leave Changi Airport and see the city. Thanks to the success of the TV show, Crazy Rich Asians, Singapore is finally getting the recognition as the perfect destination it deserves.
15. Transylvania, Romania might seem a little odd being on this list but it’s not all Dracula and dark fairytales this city has to offer. It’s a land lost in time, with an abundance of history. More recently, this underrated destination has begun to attract attention with its up and coming wine scene. Why not set the trend, and start sampling some Transylvanian wines in 2019?
16. Palawan is of over 7,000 islands making up the Philippine archipelago. Everything from jungle adventures to relaxing on the white sand beaches Palawan has something for everyone. Palawan is the definition of paradise.
For more personalised information tips and advice, or to book this incredible holiday contact your local TravelManagers’ personal travel manager here.